Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Baby Decided to Stay and Cook a Little More

If you haven't read the post from last night, read that first! Mr. Howard and I arrived at the hospital after having about 15 contractions in a 2 hour period. They were still pretty sporadic, but some would come only 2 minutes or so apart. After leaving the hospital the first time, I was experiencing shortness of breath. I would have to rest for a bit after walking or moving or even talking - kinda like I had jogged across the room. As soon as they hooked me up on the monitors, it became clear my blood pressure was high and my heart rate was high (at some points, it was 115 bpm). The contractions were still reading on the monitors, but they had decreased since the first visit. The doctor examined me and told me I was dilated to 1cm and didn't tell me my effacement. I don't know if I had decreased since the last time they had checked me or if because it was a different doctor, she had a different measurement. They decided to monitor me to determine what the next course of action should be and also told me that my fetal fibronectin test from earlier had come back negative (meaning it was highly unlikely I was going into labor).

After a couple of hours, it was clear my blood pressure wasn't going down and my heart rate was still really high, so they decided to put me on an IV for fluids and give me medicine to stop the contractions. This was in direct contrast to what the doctor had told me before (which was that if I was having contractions, he wouldn't stop them because sometimes the "uterus knows best"). But I decided to go with the flow (if I can keep the baby in a few more weeks to cook, why not?). The doctors left, the nurses left, and Mr. Howard and I watched a bit of tv while we waited.

After about 20-30 minutes, I felt the blood pressure machine go off and turned to Mr. Howard. "What's my BP?" I asked, while he looked at the monitor. Sure enough, it had gone down SIGNIFICANTLY. "And my heart rate?" I asked, knowing that it had to have gone down, because I was no longer out of breath. It too had gone into the 80's (from the 115's). When the doctor came in, we didn't say anything. She just looked at the screen and went, "WOW! What happened? No more contractions? Heart rate's down?"

It was decided I could go home. We still don't know what happened. They think maybe a panic attack (which I completely am prone to have). Although, I had more to panick about after they told me I was going to have the IV and medicine (I'm not a huge fan of needles), and it certainly didn't FEEL like one. But, this whole baby business is new to I have no idea. It could just be a string in a long line of stories involving Baby H's stubbornness. Hehe!


Neighbor Handl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well, I am glad baby is staying put. It is better for baby to bake at least another week! I know you are uncomfortable...I saw you a few days ago. I was uncomfortable for you!

Could you have been dehydrated? That is scary having high BP being preggo!

Let me know if you need anything....

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These little ones are such a mystery. So sorry to hear about your unpleasant doctor experience. I hope you don't see him again. Everyone I have experienced there (and let me tell you I have met a good number of them in the countless appts I have been to the last couple of months) has been SO much better, so odds are you will have better next time. All the doctors are just estimating the sizes so there usually is a bit of variance, or so I learned. After being worried that our little girl was coming early and feeling more than ready when she changed her mind and decided to stay until 39 weeks, I was uncomfortable and antsy to meet her and feel better. I am grateful that she stayed until she was truly ready to be here. She is strong and healthy and I wish the same for you and yours. I can relate to the struggle of believing in the "hang in there, it will all happen soon". It doesn't always feel that way, but now that she is here it does seem like it wasn't so long. I will be thinking strong, healthy baby thoughts for you and pleasant doctor/hospital visits as well. Sorry for the long ramblings, but your stories hit so close to my heart I hope I can share a bit of comfort with you. Call me if you need to chat.

LittleDreamer said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Whoa, what an experience. I'm glad Baby Howard decided to talk a little break from the action. Maybe "it" was just as bummed about the Lakers as everyone else. :-) Obviously, I've never been pregnant, but I really hope the last few weeks will be completely stress free. And, once you see your baby you'll know it's all been worth it. :-) (please remind me of my amazing advice when it's my turn!)

Mrs. Howard said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Courtney, it's very possible I was dehydrated. I did drink water in between the time that my blood pressure was high and then eventually went down. I had been well hydrated all day, but had only had a few glasses of actual water. So it's possible the water helped.

Jen, I am SOO glad that you have had better doctor experiences and I'm really glad you shared that, because honestly, I was very worried about my delivery. The nurses were all wonderful and I could tell that the nurse was irritated with him when he was making different comments. Luke and I left and both at the same time asked the other one, "what would have happened if we had answered that we weren't even married?" He just was very inappropriate.

Kira, I love the lakers theory. If our little one is a boy, he's going to have to be a Lakers fan to survive with my dad, brothers, and Mr. Howard. So, perhaps he's just trying to fit in early. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...