Monday, October 8, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Teacher Mama to One-year-old Twins and a Toddler

Over the years, I've done a couple "What my Life is like" posts. Here is the most recent one I did: My Morning Routine. I don't know how interested other people are in these posts, but I adore being able to look back at my life at a certain time. I thought I'd do two different A Day in the Life's: one on a work day and one on the weekend.


This morning the alarm went off at 5:30am. Mr. Howard's work schedule varies, but today he wanted to be at work by 7am. He hit snooze more than once. Grrr. If I could make coherent sentences at 5:30 in the morning, I would have told him to STOP hitting snooze. I fell back asleep and naturally woke up at 6am. The Mr. was already in the shower.

At 6:30am, we went out and made coffee and I made breakfast for all of us (I make the kids toast and they eat it in the car on their way to preschool). The hubby and I chatted while drinking our coffee and eating breakfast, standing in the kitchen. I packed the babies diaper bags quickly and packed my own lunch. At 6:40 he left and I went to get dressed and blow dry my hair.
 At 7am, I went into the kids rooms. I started with Connor and laid out his clothes on his crib. Then I went in Aiden and Izzy's room and picked out the babies' clothes. By that time, Connor was out of bed and came in to get dressed in the babies room. Aiden was dressed and changed first, but he hates being in his carseat. So I left him in his crib and got Izzy dressed and changed. Before putting her in her seat, I sprayed her hair with leave-in conditioner and brushed her hair. I put her in her carseat and then gave her a half piece of toast. Aiden was next. I put him in the carseat and gave him his half piece of toast.

I finished helping Connor get ready. I took one trip to the car with the two carseats and Connor. I strapped him in first and then put both babies in the car. I went back and got the diaper bag, my lunch, my purse, and Connor's breakfast. We left the house at 7:20am.

We arrived at preschool at 7:25am. I try to make morning drop off quick, so I motivate myself by leaving the car on. I took all the kids inside with their diaper bags and then headed off to work. I was on the road to work at 7:30am.

I alternate between calling my best friend Jen and my sister in the mornings (don't worry! I have a hands-free car speaker system). Jen and I have found that it's the perfect time to chat because she is on her way to work. When she isn't traveling, we sometimes talk up to three times a week. I arrived at work at 8am.

This morning I went and chatted with my friends Susan and Diana for a bit, then stopped by Justin's room to see how his weekend was. I then went into my classroom, turned on my computer, looked at my schedule, and then headed off for yard duty. I do yard duty from 8:45 - 9am.

In first period (7th grade English) we worked on a practice test (tomorrow they'll be taking their Quarter 1 District Test) and I walked around and helped students who needed help. Here is a picture:

Second period is my prep. I updated the practice test with some things I realized I forgot or needed to fix for next year's class.

Third period was the same as first (7th grade English). They worked on a practice test and I walked around helping people and clarifying anything I needed to.

Fourth period is my 7th-8th grade technology elective. Right now some groups are finishing their scripts, while others have started filming. No one is ready to edit their videos yet.

My fifth period (7th grade World History) students are working on a study guide for the district test right now. Half the period was spent with them answering the study guide, where the other half was going over it. I confiscated this hat (a student was wearing it in class).

Sixth period (7th grade World history) was the same as fifth. I spent a lot more time answering questions and working with kids on how to use the index.

Homeroom: Kids had time to work on homework.

At 4:00 I came home. I sometimes try to run home and get dinner started before I go pick up the kids. I started dinner and got the kitchen cleaned up. At that time, Mr. Howard called and said he could pick up the kids. I made good use of my time. The kids' toys were a mess (we got home late last night from my mom's) and so I picked up those as well. I made spaghetti for dinner and got everything ready for the babies and the rest of us for dinner.

When Mr. Howard came home, I had dinner ready. We put the babies in their highchairs and I fed them dinner, while Mr. Howard got Connor settled with dinner. After they ate, we tried to sit down and eat for a few minutes; but it was short lived as Aiden and Izzy started crying. I made them each a bottle and then let them play while we ate scarfed down our food as quickly as we could. After playing for a little while, we put all three kids in a bath. Mr. Howard washed their hair and let them play, while I did dishes, laid out their night clothes, cleaned up dinner, and put a pie in the oven (we bought deep dish apple pie at the pumpkin patch farm yesterday).

I went back into the bathroom and helped them finish up. Mr. Howard got Isabella out of the tub and brushed her hair and I got Aiden. He put Izzy down in her bed and I put her diaper and jammies on. I put Aiden's jammies and diapers on next. Mr. Howard went back with Connor and got him dried off.

I would show you a picture of Daddy, Connor, and I eating apple pie, except that Connor didn't want his jammies on and is naked. Ha! We watched a little bit of The Lady and the Tramp 2, while eating pie and then put Connor to bed at about 7:30pm.

Tonight we are about to sit down to Once Upon a Time (we watch it on hulu since we don't have TV). We try to sit and watch a show, eat dessert on the couch, or do something else together every night when the kids go to bed. We call them little date nights, but really they're just "intentional connecting." It's so much fun to be married to your best friend. to crawl in bed with the hubby and Once Upon a Time...

*Follow me @TheHowardBunch on instagram!


Hannah @Supermommy!...Or Not. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds like you're pretty busy! My husband works full-time and farms with his dad so we eat supper around 9-10 at night. It's nice because the kids are in bed by that time and we can actually enjoy our meal together in peace.

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I loved reading about your day! It was fun to see what a teachers day is like! Your kids are adorable! I came here from KK link up and added you to my reader. Looking forward to reading more from you! Have a great weekend!


Jen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Busy day! Visiting from Kelly's Korner. I teach kindergarten and have just one kiddo of my own. Getting three kids ready in the morning - whoa! Sounds like you do it well. : )

Parent's Guide Consulting said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Move those chest clips up on their car seats or they're in danger of ejection in an accident or internal injury

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...