Thursday, November 22, 2012

Oh What a Day

We have been on cloud 9 with our house escrow and looking at houses and such. We've felt so blessed, so wonderfully lucky, and I kinda thought to myself that writing the "What I'm Thankful for" post this year will be so easy.

And then we had a pretty traumatic morning. 

We were on our way out the door and my husband noticed that one of the pups, A.K.A child #1, wasn't around. He went looking for him and found him sitting underneath our side table by the bed. When he went down to touch him, his leg twitched. As soon as Mr. Howard picked him up, he knew something was very wrong - he was frozen with his back arched, almost as if he was completely paralyzed. He wouldn't move at all, not even his head. We put him in the car immediately and rushed him over to the vet hospital, where he gets his Addison's Disease injections. They took one look at my husband and rushed him back. They were very, very worried. He didn't respond when they touched his feet; he wouldn't stand. He was just paralyzed arching his back.

We adore our vet, just positively adore him. And all the staff, really, are just so wonderful. I wasn't there at the beginning (I was with the three kids in the car), but they rushed in and looked at him, performed some initial tests to see if they could figure it out and gave us some of our options. By the time I got there, they were ready to put him on an IV and I stood there and just bawled; the vet assistant was so kind and gentle with me. I kept apologizing and telling him that Harley's been around longer than our kids and I was just so sorry I was losing it. They very gently suggested we have the kids kiss and hug him goodbye, which is never a good sign. It was at that point that I just completely lost it. Holy Moly, right? I was so not expecting that this morning.

Long story short, his blood sugar was completely non-existent, which leads us to believe he wasn't eating (we open feed both of our dogs - so we don't know exactly how much one dog has eaten v. the other one). Can I tell you what my gut says was wrong? The flea collar. We put it on him a couple days ago and that is when all his symptoms started. I wish, wish, wish I had done more research about flea collars - because now that I read about them, they can be pretty darn horrible. And certainly horrible for our toddlers, if not our dogs. What Harley had sounds pretty consistent with an allergic reaction to the pesticides in the collar. I want to be clear. I am not a vet and the vet could not tell us for sure that it was caused by the flea collar, but he did tell us to throw that thing away and never ever use a flea collar again. Pet owners, am I the only one who hadn't ever heard of this?!?

Harley is laying in bed with me right now and he is doing okay. My brother-in-law was able to put some food on his gums, which led to him licking food off his fingers, which led him to eating some food from a bowl and eventually standing to drink some water and then walking to go pee. Huge steps compared to where we were 12 hours ago. But he's not out of the woods yet and it's going to be a long road to recovery (he's on 5 different medications right now and a prescription food), but I'm so glad he's home with us in my bed. My gut says it's his flea collar, but with his Addison's could be that. It could be that he is insulin dependent... It could be sepsis...It could be cancer...It could be so many things. I'm praying it was his collar and that he's going to recover just fine. I just love him so much!!!!


Kristy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh no! Praying for your sweet puppy.

Kathesflwr said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad Harley is home!!!! :) hope he continues to get stronger... Have a great thanksgiving .... missing you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...