Thursday, May 30, 2013

Road Trippin it with Kids

After a morning that can be summed up by saying I'd REALLY like to forget it, we went bright and early to Starbucks for coffee and pastries (mainly just so we could get out of the hotel with our three screaming/squealing children). Yikes. I think we were out of the hotel by about 7am dressed, showered, and packed up. We walked downtown to give the kids a little break.
Afterwards, we came back to the hotel, passed our little Airplane Traveler (Aiden) on to my mom and got on the road. I was BEYOND nervous about the drive, because our morning had been one long test of Mama and Daddy patience, and thought that the earlier we got on the road - the better. But, honestly, they did REALLY well. It took us about 11 hours, but we stopped to get my ring cleaned, stopped for lunch, and stopped for dinner. So we made pretty good time considering.

Even though I had driven the whole way to San Diego, I offered to drive the first chunk of the road so that Mr. Howard could re-do the work project he had done the night before. We stopped at a Starbucks in Valencia on our way so that we could use the wifi to send the file to his colleague. Afterwards, we switched places and I took a good solid 1.5 hour nap with the kids.
 Anytime we are in Southern California we stop by the store that Mr. Howard bought my engagement and wedding ring at to have them re-dipped and cleaned (he bought a lifetime service plan when he bought the rings). I try to go twice a year, but it's been a lot longer than that since we last stopped. The nice thing about having it serviced, cleaned, and re-dipped is that they check the prongs and make sure everything is okay. As long as I have it serviced every six months, if anything happens to the diamond (like it falls out or breaks), it will be 100% covered and replaced. My diamond was actually loose, so I'm so glad we went! (Side note: They had to rhodium dip my ring TWICE because it was so dirty. Eek.)
Here's Izzy and Daddy in the waiting area:
After waiting inside for a little while, I took the kids outside to play and burn some energy:
Connor was playing Jake and the Neverland Pirates with Isabella and eventually Daddy came out and joined them (since they were re-dipping my ring a second time):
 Connor and Izzy finding the perfect pirate props:
Meanwhile, while we were driving, our family was having breakfast together (from left to right: Colin, Jake, Rebecca, Valerie, Kira, my dad, my mom, Aiden, Erin, Debbie, Nathan, John, and Adam) - My sister was there too, but she was the photographer!
Colin and Jake:

When we got back into town, we had to go to the airport to pick up the hubby's car. I then headed home and bathed Connor and Isabella - while Mr. Howard went to pick up Aiden from my parents' house. He had an okay flight, but was overly tired and squeeled and cried a bit. Poor guy.
Overall, our trip to San Diego was RIDICULOUSLY amazing. Of course traveling with kids is not the same as traveling without them, and things are always a little trickier; but overall we were very blessed with a relatively easy trip. I am thankful I have a husband who helps out and kept the twins Saturday night so I could go out with my family for a little bit and I know he was thankful that I could keep the babies Friday night so that he could go out to a baseball game with Connor and the boys. Traveling with little guys means practicing compromise, patience, and a whole heck of a lot of eating good portions of humble pie.


Mrs. Howard said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are a brave, brave soul.

Mrs. Howard said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so glad you had a great trip! I have yet to take both kids to wal-mart, so I think I might try that before packing up and heading out of town! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...