If you are stopping by from Kelly's Korner Blog, welcome!
I am Mama to three earthly angels who are four-years-old and younger, wife to a man I've been with for 13 years, and teacher to 100 seventh and eighth graders in my English, World History, and Yearbook classes. I am just like all mamas - working or not: SUPER busy. So I am always looking for simple, healthy recipes I can make my little ones that they will actually eat. This recipe takes me less than 20 minutes from start to finish - which, for anyone who has cooked with three small children at their feet, you know is essential for your survival and sanity.
This stir-fry is so easy and it's one of my favorite meals because the kids will eat every single bite. When my brother lived with us, he introduced the simplicity of this meal to us. Since then, I've experimented with lots of different veggies - and that's one of the other things I love about this meal - because you can put whatever you and your kids will eat in your version. I've made this with snap peas, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts, onions, bell peppers, cauliflower, and even tofu. I literally just chop up whatever veggies or protein that I have in my fridge! The first time I made this, I took my oldest to the store and let him pick out 3 vegetables to put in there and he ate every single bite of the stir-fry because he had picked it out (he kept saying, "Mama, these are my yummy vegetables! Do you love it?!?"). P.S. If you've got picky eaters, I highly recommend this strategy!
When I have time, I marinate the chicken in a teriyaki glaze; but I'll be honest, marinating isn't something I have a whole lot of time for lately.
We love rice in this household and we go to a local Asian market to buy our Premium Sweet Rice; but of course - you can make it with any rice that you like - or no rice, at all. I'll tell you, though, if you love sticky rice and haven't found a good one, GO BUY THIS ONE BELOW immediately. It's amazing! When I was training for my second half marathon a few weeks ago, I substituted this rice with brown rice. I have also tried it with quinoa and it's delicious!
We also use our rice cooker. All we do is put two cups of the sweet rice in my favorite rice cooker ever, two cups of water on top (we don't stir at all), press start, and it's ready in 20 minutes.
While that's cooking, I get my ingredients ready and get everything chopped.
Easy Veggie and Chicken Stir-Fry
(The stir-fry, without rice, is about 200 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 40 grams of protein per serving - I get about 6 adult servings out of this recipe)
- 1.5 lbs chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
- Teriyaki Glaze (if you want to marinate the chicken)
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
- Veggies of your choice chopped into bite-sized pieces. I used:
- 3 Bell peppers
- Water chestnuts
- Teriyaki Sauce. I used soy vay veri veri teriyaki
- Rice (if you want). I've also made this with quinoa. Super yummy!
- Start your rice or quinoa.
- Chop your veggies and chicken.
- Heat oil in your wok and saute the garlic for about a minute.
- Cook your chicken for a minute or two, just until not pink on the outside.
- Pour in teriyaki sauce and coat your chicken.
- When your chicken is about 3/4ths of the way cooked, add in your veggies.
- Coat your veggies in the sauce and stir.
- Cook for another 7 minutes, or until your veggies are tender.
- Plate your food with rice and drizzle teriyaki sauce on top if you wish. Or eat stir-fry without rice.